Monday, January 11, 2010

Birthday Week


This week is my birthday. Number 27. I don't know if I'm ready for it, but I am ready to celebrate. Benj is taking me to the Cheesecake Factory and I cannot wait! I'm sorry to say it, but out of all the meals I'm "making" this week, I'm most looking forward to Friday when I don't have to cook and I can devour a whole slice of heaven. The question is, what kind should I get?
MONDAY - Mexican - Thai Chicken Burritos
TUESDAY - New - Grilled Steak and Roasted Vegetables
WEDNESDAY - Chinese - Wok Steak
THURSDAY - Italian - Rotini with Spicy Meat Sauce
FRIDAY - Date Night - Cheesecake Factory
SATURDAY - Soups On! - Clam Chowder
SUNDAY - Traditional - Family Dinner
Dad's Famous Clam Chowder
It really is the best you will ever it. I promise.
3-4 cans (6.5 oz) chopped or minced clams
1 cup finely diced celery
1 cup finely diced onion
1 cup finely diced carrots
2 cups diced red potatoes
3/4 cup flour
1 quart milk
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon salt
ground pepper to taste
Drain liquid from clams and pour over vegetables. Add just enough water to barely cover and then cook until vegetables are tender.
While vegetables are cooking, heat milk in microwave until wave and then add butter with canola oil in large saucepan. Over medium-low heat, add flour slowly to melted butter and whisk until well blended. Add milk slowly, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and thickened.
Add vegetables (do not drain), clams, and salt and pepper. Heat chowder (slowly stirring) until it just starts to bubble. Serve with crackers or sourdough bread.

No comments: